- Michael Patterson presented “A Lawyer’s Guide to Emojis – What You Need to Know,” with S. Brooke Barnett-Bernal – New York, New York, Multi-Topic CLE, November 2019 and “Ethics in Arbitration,” with Ingeuneal C. Gray, Esq. – Charting a Course in Unfamiliar Waters – Tips for Winning Your Case in Arbitration, New Orleans, LA, December 2019.
- Pat Ottinger presented “A Dozen (or So) Oil and Gas Issues and Other Tidbits of Interest to the Real Estate Paralegal” at the Louisiana State Paralegal Association CLE Program in Lafayette, Louisiana, on September 20, 2019.
- Michael Patterson presented “Understanding the Ethical Obligations of Using Artificial Intelligence – “I’m sorry Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” ” With Rachel P. Dunaway, at the LSBA Seminar-Issues & Trends While Practicing in the Social Media Age, Juban’s Restaurant, Baton Rouge, LA, May 17, 2019;
- Mr. McKay presented a continuing legal education program at the Louisiana State Bar Association Quebec Seminar on March 27, 2019 entitled “Conflict Consulting and Coaching“.
- Mr. McKay was added to the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Arbitrators on March 13, 2019, having been accepted by the AAA after completing the vetting and training process.
- Mr. McKay presented a continuing legal education program at the Louisiana State Bar Association Disney seminar on March 5, 2019, in Orlando, Florida, entitled “Navigating the Swamp: A Review of Issues Encountered in Client Network Services, Inc. v. State, a Civil Contract Termination Case, Due to a Concurrent Criminal Prosecution and Indictment“.
- Pat Ottinger presented a paper entitled “A Funny Thing Happened at the Wellhead: ‘Post-production Costs,’ and Responsibility Therefor,” at the 2019 ArkLaTex Professional Landman Education Seminar, Shreveport, Louisiana, on February 22, 2019.
- Mr. McKay completed a course on “Selected Issues in Dispute Resolution: Conflict, Consulting, and Coaching” in January, 2019. His paper was entitled “Bill’s Firm: A Story and, Perhaps, a Template“.
- Mr. McKay presented a CLE program at the Baton Rouge Bar Association CLE by the Hour on December 13, 2018, entitled “Deposing the Lawyers?” How About the Commissioner? Why Not the Governor? Unique Discovery Issues from Client Network Services, Inc v. State, et al“.
- Pat Ottinger presented a paper entitled “All’s Well That Ends Well,” at the 2018 Bank Counsel Conference, a seminar sponsored by Louisiana Bankers Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, on December 6, 2018.
- Pat Ottinger presented a paper entitled “A Funny Thing Happened at the Wellhead: ‘Post-production Costs,’ and Responsibility Therefor,” at the 2018 Energy and Environmental Law Summit, a seminar sponsored by Louisiana State Bar Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, on November 16, 2018.
- Patrick S. Ottinger is the recipient of the 2018 Louisiana Bar Foundation’s Boisfontaine Trial Advocacy Award. The award was presented at the Louisiana State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting on June 7, 2018, in Destin, Florida. Mr. Ottinger is receiving this award in recognition of his long-standing devotion to and excellence in trial practice and for upholding the standards of ethics and consideration for the court, litigants, and all counsel.
- Michael Patterson was appointed as Discovery Special Master in the consolidated cases involving the construction of the University Medical Center complex in New Orleans.
- E. Phelps Gay presented a paper entitled “Arbitration of Oil and Gas Disputes” to the LSU Mineral Law Institute in March, 2017.
- Pat Ottinger presented a paper entitled “The Top Five Most Misunderstood Mineral Lease Provisions,” at the 2017 Energy and Environmental Law Summit, a seminar sponsored by Louisiana State Bar Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, on November 14, 2017.
- Pat Ottinger has been appointed as Reporter of the Mineral Law Committee of the Louisiana State Law Institute.
- Pat Ottinger has been appointed as Chair of the Louisiana Mineral Law Institute at the Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, and will preside over the 64th Annual Institute in March of 2017. The Louisiana Mineral Law Institute was created in 1953 as an annual continuing legal education program. The goal of the Institute is to promote an understanding of the mineral law of Louisiana and neighboring states, and to facilitate the development of the law through educational activities.
- Mr. McKay completed a course on “Selected Issue in Dispute Resolution: Mass Tort Settlements” in pursuit of a Master of Law degree at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School in Malibu, California, in November, 2016. His final paper for the course is entitled “Vioxx Litigation: Cave In, Windfall or Another Day at the Boudin Factory“.
In May 2016, Marta-Ann Schnabel was invited to speak to the St. Tammany Bar Association by its president Elizabeth Sconzert about negotiation and mediation tactics. The presentation addressed gender and generational differences in negotiation styles and offered practical advice for resolving conflicts amongst people of different perspectives. Based on the enthusiastic response to the May discussion, Ms. Schnabel was asked to repeat the presentation for the Louisiana State Bar Association at its September 2016 CLE in Las Vegas, where Patterson Group partners Michael McKay, Michael Patterson, and Pat Ottinger were also featured. Mars & Venus: Gender Differences In Negotiation
Pat Ottinger will present at the LSBA Las Vegas CLE in Las Vegas, Nevada, on September 14, 2016. His paper is entitled “Arbitration: Why? Why Not? And How?”
- Mr. McKay presented a continuing legal education program at the Louisiana State Bar Association Las Vegas seminar entitled “The Art of Negotiation” on September 13, 2016.
- Pat Ottinger has concluded all training on advanced arbitration as presented by the AAA, and is now listed on the AAA Energy Panel as an arbitrator of oil and gas or energy-related disputes.
Mike McKay & Mike Patterson presented a program on alternative dispute resolution, “ADR:Stuff You Need to Know to Make You a Better Advocate in Negotiation, Mediation and Arbitration”, at the Louisiana State Bar Association program in Sonoma, CA. on Monday February 29,2016.
- Mr. McKay was one of two presenters of a program at the Louisiana State Bar Association Sonoma Wine Country seminar entitled “ADR: Stuff You Need to Know to Make You a Better Advocate in Negotiation, Mediation and Arbitration” on February 19, 2016.
- Marta-Ann Schnabel gave a CLE for the New Orleans Bar Association entitled “Getting to Yes Without Getting in Trouble: Ethics in Mediation”. The CLE was held Tuesday, December 29, 2015.
- Marta-Ann Schnabel was honored as a “Woman of the Year” in 2015 by New Orleans CityBusiness at the November 12, 2015 luncheon held in the New Orleans Hyatt Regency.
PRG members, Ross Foote, Pat Ottinger and Marta Schnabel, honed advanced mediation skills at the Mediator Boot Camp — Surviving in the Trenches, offered by the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee. The program presented a variety of advanced skills and procedures for the resolution of complex disputes in a mediation.
- Pat Ottinger made a presentation entitled, “Why Does it Matter to Me?”, covering current jurisprudence of interest, at the Fall Meeting of the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association, Lafayette, Louisiana, on September 29, 2015.
- Members of The Patterson Resolution Group are presenting on the topic of “Alternative Dispute Resolution” at the “Recent Developments” CLE presented by the LSU Law Center CLE Department. The annual seminar is presented in several cities throughout the state. The presenting members, and the cities involved are Patrick S. Ottinger, Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette; Thomas M. Hayes, III, Monroe; Marta-Ann Schnabel, New Orleans; E. Phelps Gay, Kenner; Michael A. Patterson, Baton Rouge, and Michael W. McKay, Lake Charles. The presentation focuses on recent court decisions concerning arbitration proceedings, including the scope of arbitration, the post-arbitration proceedings to confirm or vacate an award, and the actions of an arbitrator in conducting the proceeding.
- Mike Patterson, along with Ed Walters, presented a CLE on the ethical implications of social media at the BRBA annual Bench Bar Conference held at Point Clear, Al. on July 24, 2015.
- Marta-Ann Schnabel received the 2015 President’s Award from the Louisiana State Bar Association for “exemplary assistance to the Lawyers Assistance Program and the Access to Justice Program” on June 11, 2015.
- Mr. McKay has just completed a course in “Arbitration Practice and Advocacy” as part of his pursuit of a Master of Laws degree in Dispute Resolution at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School. – May 2015
- Marta-Ann Schnabel was the recipient of the 2014 Calogero Justice Award from the Louisiana Bar Foundation on May 1, 2015.
- Pat Ottinger was recognized as an LSU Law Center Distinguished Achievement Honoree at an awards luncheon at the LSU Lod Cook Conference Center in Baton Rouge on Sunday, September 21, 2014. The award recognizes graduates for professional achievement and career distinction, service to and support of LSU Law, and service to the community.
- Michael Patterson was recognized as an LSU Law Center Distinguished Achievement Honoree at a dinner at the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center on Friday November 1, 2013. The award recognizes graduates for professional achievement and career distinction, service to and support of LSU Law, and service to the community.
- “Mike Patterson presented a program entitled “Professionalism in Mediation” at a Louisiana State Bar Association Continuing Education program on Wednesday Dec 11, 2013
- McKay Receives Presidents Award
Arbitration: A Cure for Law’s Delay, Phelps Gay
Getting Your Client and Yourself Ready for Mediation, Mike Patterson
The Louisiana Supreme Court Defended, Phelps Gay
Professionalism in Mediation, Mike Patterson